The Gimsi method in 10 questions/answers (6 to 10)
6. Actually, measuring productivity and costs is not anymore enough. The list of spheres to be measured is getting longer...
t is not at all an exhaustive list. We are living through a real revolution of our ways of working. Let's just consider the current change of the client-supplier relation as it is initiated by on-line banks and e-commerce.
To lead to success such an undertaking, it is obvious that the ways of leading a company has to be continuously adapted.
In this particular case, among other things, we will have to be very careful with the performance definition of the information system, genuine keystone of integrated companies.
7. The various persons in charge, computing managers, production managers, sales managers don't have the same needs. How to build each one's cooperative performance dashboard?
Each actor, in his own context, adapts at his level the ways of success selected by the company. The cooperative performance dashboard will be adjusted to the performance measure according to the selected main lines. We manage only what we measure. For beginning we are going to define what we want to manage before defining measurement indicators. This approach is adaptable to all situations. For example, if the main preoccupation is the reduction of cycle time, it is not with a cooperative performance dashboard showing only produced quantities and cost prices that we will reach our goal. It is not either by presenting too global performance indicators, on which the concerned actor can't take action, that we will bring any assistance to the decision process.
8. The decision-maker is not isolated. What are the GIMSI method contributions as regards decision making in teams ?
Responsibility is more and more shared by a work team. GIMSI ®
methodology is based on the problematics of efficient decision making in groups and suggests well proven tools for choosing goals, to select and build key performance indicators in teams.
9. What can we think of standard key performance indicators?
Standard key performance indicators don't exist. A key performance indicator is pertinent only when measuring the distance to a defined goal and when it has been selected by the concerned actors. We must know what we measure and why.
- Is it a question of improving the time limit?
- Reducing costs?
- Reducing the number of failures, controlling complains?
Whatever the goals that have been selected, we will choose, according to a participative method, the key performance indicators (KPIs) that are the most adapted to the goals, the company context and the concerned decision-makers.
10. Which technological infrastructure has to be set up?
Four aspects have to be considered :
- 1. Data collection
- 2. Data coherence and consolidation
- 3. Key performance indicators construction and presentation
- 4. Global consolidation
The first two aspects are handled by a datawarehouse/datamart solution + ETL.
Aspect 3 is an integral part of the key performance indicator.
Aspect 4 is solved by the communication setting of the key performance dashboard with the help of a groupware or intranet software package.
GIMSI© is a trademark belonging to Alain FERNANDEZ NODESWAY