6 Sigma glossary
From a quality approach to a client-focused management
- Black Belt
- "Black Belt" "BB" is the grade above the Green Belt. Black Belt can supervise the project and manage several "Green Belt". The training is quite consequent.
- Process capability. Determines if a process is able to meet the customer expectations.
o o o
o o o
- DFSS Design for Six Sigma. Defines a particular methodology suited to 6 Sigma project development. A DFSS method consists of a road map, specific tools and a suitable training program. Its objective is, of course, to bring the company up to the expected 6 Sigma quality level. It is based upon the DMADV sequence.
- DMADV: Define Measure, Analyze, Design, Verify.
- DMAIC: Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve and Control. DMAIC is a method which can be considered as a continuous improvement process in its own right. Based upon statistical analyze, it aims for systematic elimination of all non quality sources.
- DPMO Defects per Million Opportunities. 6 Sigma unit of measurement. DPMO gives the number of defects per million of produced units. 6 Sigma objectives being not to exceed 3.4 DPMO, that is 3.4 defects per produced units.
- Gimsi: A global design methodology of the performance measurement system, particularly suited to cooperatives and continuous improvement processes.
- Green Belt
- "Green Belt" "GB" is the first level of Six Sigma mastery. Green Belt can play the part of the team leader. He is the "active motor" during a SIX SIGMA project. He is relatively quickly trained.
- Master Black belt
- "Master Black Belt" "MBB" The "Master Black Belt" "MBB" is a certification which justifies a perfect mastery of Six Sigma. The Master Black Belt must show proof of successful experiences as a Black Belt and attend a complementary training. He is able to run a Six Sigma project at the level of the company.
- SPC Statistical Process Control. Use of statistical tool to study the produced data in order to define process capability and performance.
o o o
All trademarks mentioned on this page are the property of their respective owners.